Too Smart To Homeschool: Amanda's Interview


Today's homeschooling family interview is with Amanda. She calls herself a Crunchy Christian Mom and lives in crunchy California with her crunchy family of one crunchy husband and three crunchy boys, ages 2.5, 6.5 and almost 8. Amanda has a blog she calls A Homegrown Life.

1. How long have you been homeschooling (or if finished, how long did you homeschool)?

My husband and I decided we'd homeschool when I was pregnant with our first son 8 years ago. I'd always considered it, and he's a teacher -- he learned pretty quickly that school was not where he wanted our kids to be. Then we met some unschoolers, started reading John Holt and John Taylor Gatto, and eventually realized our kids were too smart for us to homeschool. They've taught us a lot. Sometimes we fail, but they're very gracious about it and always let us start over.

2. One of the main benefits of homeschooling is the freedom and flexibility it allows. Can you give us a few examples of how this freedom and flexibility benefited you (your family)?

The name of our so-called homeschool is "Joy in the Morning Academy." That's because it's such a joy not to have to wake up in the morning before we're ready! We also appreciate having time for friends and family without giving up all our hobbies. And we've gotten pretty spoiled about having public spaces all to ourselves in the middle of the week, too. Honestly, I don't know how anyone has time to do school. There are too many other fun ways to learn!

3. Another benefit of homeschooling is the fun factor. Can you give us a few examples of some especially fun times you had as a result of homeschooling?

One of our favorite things is our annual Not Back To School Party. In August, when all the other kids hop on the schoolbus and head to their classrooms, we pack up our swimsuits and hot fudge, and head to our friends' house for breakfast sundaes and a hop in the pool!! The sad thing about that day is that Daddy has to be at school.

4. We all have funny experiences while homeschooling. Can you share one of yours with us?

My kids are funny everyday. They don't always appreciate when I laugh at them, but they're funny nonetheless. They're pretty good about laughing at me, too.

Okay so Amanda did not regale us with a funny homeschooling story but let's not let that stop us from laughing at, I mean with, her. On her blog she has a labeled category called "funny" so I'm linking to those posts here. I guess I should get a knee length apron...

2 comments:

kathy said...

Just found your site and I'm enjoying visiting the sites you recommend - Have a great day!

Debbie H. said...

I'm glad you are getting something out of reading it Kathy. :)