Why Do You Homeschool?

As homeschoolers, this is one of the most common questions we get from others.

Of course, the answer to this question is as individual as each family who decides to take this step. But over the years, I've noticed the question morph a bit into:

Why do you homeschool?

A. Religious reasons
B. Academic reasons

Apparently society has a need to propose this question in multiple choice form. Fine. I'll accept that. Except they forgot one.

It's a very important one that I don't think enough homeschoolers even consider to give as an answer. But we should. I guarantee it would lead to much more interesting follow up questions and everyone involved in the conversation would learn and benefit and see education differently. Here it is:

C. Fun reasons

How about we do an experiment? From now on, every time someone asks you why you decided to homeschool, answer C.

Let me know what happens.

No comments: